Located on thirty-three acres of land, which formerly was part of the historic estate of Rippon Lodge is Rippon Middle School. The site is at the southern extreme of the community of Woodbridge, Virginia, and is approximately one-half mile west of the Potomac River.
Rippon Lodge was built by, Richard Blackburn, who in 1725, left his home in Rippon (now Ripon) in Yorkshire, England, and settled in northern Virginia. He built his home, which he named "Rippon Lodge," on a high knoll overlooking the mouth of Neabsco Creek and the Potomac River. Crossing the property was King's Highway, once known as the Potomac Path, which was the main post road between the northern and southern colonies. This historic road was often traveled by George Washington, General Lafayette, and French and American troops during the Revolutionary War. Tea bushes which were planted in colonial times can still be found growing on the lawn at Rippon Lodge. These bushes could be found throughout the colonies as a protest against the tea taxes levied by Great Britain.